Healthy Physique: EXCEL in 2020!
Starting from scratch is not easy, especially for us – change is something we loathe or hate, but with change comes growth and excellence. As this year starts we should set our goals and achieve them. This is the perfect time of year to start anew!
Our goal for this year is Healthy Physique – normal weight, muscle mass, and Body Mass index; one way to assess a healthy body is through weight. Why Weight? Because weight is the only amount in our body that changes frequently compared to a height that is relatively stagnant after we reach a certain maturity.
Here are the benefits of weighing:
- Preventive measure – weight is our primary indicator if we are still normal and it is needed to get our Body Mass Index to check if we are predisposed to non-communicable and lifestyle diseases.
- Body Awareness – our weight gives us consciousness and discipline to achieve normal nutritional status.
The big question is, “how do I lose weight?” or “If I have a normal weight, will I be able to maintain it?” The answer is simple… Get checked, and start working out and lose weight! But here are some quick tips for you to lose weight or maintain it:
- Eat less, move more! But what you eat must be fit to your adjusted caloric needs – consult first with a licensed Nutritionist-Dietitian.
- X or cross-out simple salty snacks, fatty foods, sugary foods and beverages, alcohol and cigarette.
- Complex carbohydrates are key! A big example is Dietary Fiber as it has many nutritional and satiety benefits to us.
- Exercise! Do cardio and strength workouts for 45 to 1 hour a day. Fair warning! Do not overdo it, as it may increase your cortisol (stress hormones) levels.
- Learn to breathe and take one step at a time! It means to manage your stress effectively, as stress may induce binge eating and abnormal appetites, thus, lead to weight gain.
Sounds cliché? But these are really effective tips if we are to follow it holistically. As they say, Discipline goes a long way.
Let’s be Healthy and E-X-C-E-L this year! Start with this awesome, delicious, and nutritious Gardenia recipe that perfectly suits your diet!
Gardenia Beefy Ala Tacos
- Gardenia High Fiber Wheat Raisin Loaf
- 240g Lean Ground Beef
- 1 pc Red Onion, chopped
- Pinch of Salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 Head Lettuce, shredded
- 2pcs Tomato, medium; seeded and chopped
- ½ cup Cheese, grated (for toppings)
- In a medium pan, sauté onions and ground beef until lightly brown.
- Using a strainer, drain excess oil coming from the beef. Set aside.
- Flatten each slice of bread using a rolling pin. Slightly fold bread then toast for 5 minutes.
- Spread salsa in each slice. Add beef, lettuce, tomato, and grated cheese. Serve.
YIELD AND NUTRITION FACTS
- Net wt per serving: 100g
- Carbohydrates: 24.4
- Protein: 13.3
- Fat: 2.2
- Calories: 171
- NDAP, Diet Manual, 2010