Enjoy the Guilt-Free Holiday Eating
It’s the time of the year again! The holiday season is approaching and for some, this means celebrating with our loved ones especially our family and friends, enjoying the season, and gift giving. But for some, this season can also include guilt and worry revolving around eating holiday food. Some may fear that they will get “off track” from their health and fitness goals and for some it may mean you cannot indulge and enjoy the holiday food. Our excitement for this season turns to dread as we wonder, “how do I indulge without feeling bad about what I’m going to eat?”
At times like this, the challenge is to still have fun without jeopardizing some of the healthy practices you have worked on throughout the year.
Here are some tips to enjoy the guilt-free holiday eating:
- Practice mindful eating: savor the experience. Mindful eating is the act of paying attention to what you eat and appreciating every bite. Engage in your senses and fully experience the food by chewing thoroughly and eating slowly. It takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that you are full. If you rush through your meal, you are not allowing your body to complete a healthy feedback loop which may leads to overeating. Savor the moment, savor the experience.
- Say YES to Moderation! Rather than saying NO to everything you like, say YES to moderation. Admit it that it is really impossible to cut totally those “unhealthy” or less nutritious foods in your diet especially during this holiday season. Avoiding these foods can make you crave them even more. If you allow yourself to eat these treats once in a while in moderate amounts, eating the nutritious foods the rest of the time doesn't feel quite so bad.
- Choose the right plate. A smaller plate can prevent you from filling your plate with more items than what you really need and it can also make the amount of food on your plate seem larger. To control portions, leaving space between each item on the plate is a simple and effective way.
- Be merry. Spend time enjoying the company of others at the party. The more you talk, the less time you will spend eating.
Let yourself celebrate without the guilt by also trying this delectable and healthy recipe, Gardenia Wheat Raisin Ham & Jam Sandwich using Gardenia High Fiber Whole Wheat Raisin Loaf.
Gardenia Wheat Raisin Ham & Jam Sandwich
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Calories: 287 kcal
Carbohydrates: 45 g
Protein: 13 g
Fat: 6 g
High in Dietary Fiber
High in Calcium, Iron, Vit B1, B2 and B3
4 slices Gardenia High Fiber Wheat Raisin Loaf
2 slices cooked ham (store bought)
2 tsp cream cheese spreadable
2 tsp sugar-free strawberry jam
- Spread a teaspoon of cream cheese on one side of the bread and a teaspoon of sugar-free strawberry jam on the other piece of bread.
- Top with ham and lettuce leaves. Cover with another slice of bread.
- Serve with juice or coffee.
So give yourself the gift of love this holiday season and remember to work with your body and not be at war with it.