10 Things You Need To Know About Cranberries
Cranberry is a red, plump and juicy fruit that is related to blueberries, bilberries and huckleberries. It is often processed as juice drinks, jams, jellies, dried or a sauce more popularly combined with a roasted turkey during Thanksgiving in the U.S.
Little did we know that this little red, round fruit is not only flavorful but it is also packed with health benefits. Here are ten things you need to know about this fruit:
- In 1967, missionary John Eliot first used the word “cranberry” in a letter he wrote.
- New England sailors ate cranberries to fight off scurvy, a disease resulting from a vitamin C deficiency.
- One cup of cranberries provides about 50 calories.
- One cup of cranberries provides 11% of Vitamin C and 9.2% of dietary fiber needs of an adult.
- Cranberries have a wide array of phytonutrients that caught the attention of health researchers. To name a few, phenolic acids, anthocyanins, flavonoids, triterpenoids and proanthocyanidins.
- The proanthrocyanidin content of cranberries may help prevent the bacteria that cause urinary tract infection from sticking to the urinary tract.
- Cranberries contain significant amounts of flavonoids and polyphenolic compounds that have been demonstrated to inhibit low density lipoprotein oxidation. Ongoing research continues to suggest that cranberries may offer a natural defense against atherosclerosis.
- Cranberries have potential anticarcinogenic properties according to a study conducted and published by the University of Illinois.
- Cranberry may be beneficial in the prevention of peptic ulcers through preventing Helicobacter pylori bacteria, from sticking to the gastric mucus or walls.
- Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition (2002) reported on a preliminary clinical trial using a mouthwash containing cranberries. The study showed a reduction of Streptococcus mutans inside the mouth. Streptococcus mutans are bacteria that cause dental caries.
So enjoy the goodness of cranberries by taking a bite on Gardenia’s newest healthylicious product, Gardena Wheat Cranberry Loaf! 2 slices provides 200 calories, 3 grams of fiber and also with Vitamin A, Calcium and Iron, a perfect partner for your healthy lifestyle!
For inquiries on nutrition and wellness, please click this link. ASK WELLNESS
Or "LIKE" us on Facebook, Gardenia Nutrition and Wellness.